24 January 2017 / Club News

Bargoed Yth v Newbridge Yth Report

Newbridge moved to the top of the table as they continued their 100% league record with a well organised display against a much improved Bargoed team.  Speedster Luke Shore slotted in seamlessly at 10 and following a signature Newbridge backs move, Shore fed full back Joel Witcombe into the gap. He then supported superbly to receive the ball back from Witcombe and go under the posts.  The Newbridge pack were patient taking the ball up the middle through multiple phases eventually forcing a gap in the defence for prop Taylor Hansen to dash 15 metres under the posts again.  Hansen carried extremely well all afternoon and showed deft hands a 10 would have been proud of on a number of occasions.  Shore converted.  The front row of Hansen, Zac Hewlett and Calum Cottle dominated their opponents and Hewletts long lineout throws were the real quality to match the huge hits he put in throughout the game.

Despite excellent defensive work by centres Cae Richings and Joseph Hacker abley supported by wing Dafydd Clissett, Bargoed went through the phases before a backs move put their fullback under the sticks, 12 – 7.

Once again the Newbridge pack worked narrowly up the field phase after phase. Alistair Crockett and Tyler Smith both carrying the ball and making good ground on each occasion.  Eventually Shore got the ball wide to Euan Lewis whose neat little pass in the narrow channel took out the defender and put wing Tom Deinko away for the third try.  Free running Deinko had his best game so far being used to great effect to set the backs away almost at will.  Captain Lewis had a field day at the ruck winning a number of penalties with the jackal.  The next score came as influential scrum half Cole Jones made 20 metres down the right through heavy traffic.  Unfortunately it was his last play of the game due to an ankle injury.  The quickly recycled ball allowed Hansen and Tyler Smith to show good skills in setting free No 8 Garin Price 40 metres out.  Price showed his speed and power to beat two defenders and cross for his first of the afternoon.  Half time 22-7.

Zach Morgan took over at scrum half and Iwan Brugwin at outside half.  The new half backs took up where their predecessors left off once again bossing the game and orchestrating every play in both attack and defence.  After a methodical build up by the forwards who were just unable to crash over, the ball was put through the backs hands once more and the fleet footed Shore showed his best dance moves to beat the defence and score his second which was also his 10th of the season. After a period without score, Newbridge further extended their lead with Prices second of the day. Morgan Thomas and then Jack Littlejohns carried the ball before Price received it once again with real pace to cross.

The last of Deinko’s fine breaks for the afternoon put the ball just passed the half way and Witcombe deputised at 9 to lay off to Price who hit top speed instantly and crossed from 40 metres for his 3rd of the afternoon and 17th in just 15 games this season.

Bargoeds backs tried to work the ball along the line but wing Jack Davies snuffed out the attack.  The try of the match came as Bargoeds excellent full back now playing at 10 made a very good break and had just Witcombe to beat on the Newbridge 10 metre line.  The Newbridge 15 stumbled backwards but somehow managed to nail the tackle and even dislodge the ball.  First to react he was back on his feet and picked up the loose ball.  Witcombe then dodged a couple of the oncoming Bargoed lads and left the rest of the defenders for dead from 60 metres.

With the last play and the game gone Bargoeds full back attempted a huge drop goal and fell just short.  Cue Witcombe once again as the he picked up over his own line and weaved his way magically to the half way line before feeding Lewis who gave the scoring pass to Richings for him to out strip the defenders from 40 metres for his first try for the team.  Burgwin had added 3 conversions in the second half but unfortunately George Price couldn’t add the final extras.

Final score:

Bargoed Youth 7 – 53 Newbridge Youth 

Newbridge Team:

Joel Witcombe, Tom Dienko, Joseph Hacker, Cae Richings, Dafydd Clissett, Jack Davies, Luke Shore, Iwan Burgwin, Cole Jones, Zac Morgan

Taylor Hansen, Zac Hewlett, Calum Cottle, Tyler Smith, Morgan Thomas, Alistair Crockett, George Price, Jack Littlejohns, Euan Lewis, Garin Price

Tries: Ga. Price 3, Shore 2, Hansen, Dienko, Witcombe, Richings

Cons: Burgwin 3, Shore

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments